At Animal Health and Medical Center, it is our goal to make sure that all of our clients and patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. Veterinarians are required by law to have a valid client/patient/veterinarian relationship in order to prescribe certain medications for patients. Many of the products that we carry are “for sale by licensed veterinarians only”. For your convenience we have the products available at our hospital for immediate purchase or through our own online pharmacy. Our products are competitively priced, and in some cases less than the prices you find on other pharmaceutical websites.
If you prefer to buy product other than from us or our online pharmacy we want your decision to be an informed one, and want you to know several things regarding prescription sales through some or all other internet sources:
- All major manufacturers (Novartis, Pfizer, Bayer, Merial, etc.) of veterinary specific products (interceptor, Sentinel, Frontline, Deramaxx, Rimadyl, Anipryl, and Metacam to name a few) maintain a policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians.
- Most catalog/online sources cannot obtain specific veterinary products directly from the manufacturer. They have been known to twist their words about where they obtained their product. They may report the product is from “X” manufacturer, however, they do not say they purchased from the manufacturer.
- Most guarantees that manufacturers make regarding their products efficacy are null and void if their products are obtained through non-approved channels, I.e., most internet pharmacies. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for flea control, as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims. This means that if you purchase heartworm medication through WSVH and your pet develops heartworm (and there is reasonable proof that you have given the product appropriately), the drug company will pay for the treatment. If you purchase your medications over the Internet, this protection is voided.
- Most catalog/online source sales of these products/medications are through non-approved channels.
- All or most catalog/online sources will not divulge from whom they are purchasing their veterinary specific products.
- Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the US.
- Counterfeit and short dated products have been produced.
- The FDA and state Boards of Pharmacy have cited some discount houses for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress, in particular, was recently fined over $100,000 by the EPA and Florida Dept. of Health. The Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board have also sued this discount house.
- Our products come with education to help you utilize them in the most efficient manner. We help you lean to apply the product for maximum effectiveness. The discount houses are not interested in what other medications your pet is on and if there may be any potential adverse effects or problems when your pet is on numerous medications. AHMC keeps your pets records and is fully aware of the dose, dosage instructions, as well as refill information and requirements regardless of where you choose to purchase the product. Our ultimate goal is the safety of your pet, not simply your pocketbook.
Authorizing prescriptions form online pharmacies indicates we endorse that pharmacy and we DO NOT. Therefore, we will only authorize internet prescriptions with the following guidelines:
- You must come to the hospital and sign a waiver form stating that you have read and are fully informed regarding AHMC’s catalog/internet prescription policy.
- All State and Federal laws apply the same as if you purchase it here. Some of the discount houses have not always followed the federal and/or state laws, but trust them at your own risk.
- We will charge a $10.00 handling/processing fee for EACH INDIVIDUAL prescription request from other venues.
- The discount houses have a reputation for poor customer service, and we cannot be expected to take the time to oversee their operations and shortcomings. We cannot be responsible if they send counterfeit or unauthorized products to you.
- We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased through these discount houses. This includes any prescription or non-prescription products.